- The R&D product developer reports to R&D manager and is in charge of developing new models and the search for new materials and technologies.
- The R&D product developer is and remains the “Product Champion” throughout the full Life Cycle of the model.
During this entire Life Cycle, the “Product Champion” thus ensures the coordination relating to this model with all relevant departments (Sales, Marketing, Production and Purchasing). This includes amongst other things:
- Product portfolio development
- optimizations in purchasing
- optimizations in production
- internal and external complaint handling
The R&D product developer coordinates the development process of new models and accomplishes the following tasks :
- Translating design proposals of external designers into technically elaborate, feasible concepts.
- Building prototypes using various prototype technologies (2D/3D-CAD tools, 3D-printing, virtual prototyping, comfort models, …) in order to obtain a concept approval of the marketing team.
- Project based coordination of the multidisciplinary development process, while monitoring quality, timing milestones and target cost.
- Making ready for production and ensuring product validation (Industrial Release) of a new model.
- The R&D product developer develops an average of 2 to 3 new models per year.
- After the launch of the new model, the R&D product developer remains responsible for further follow-up and optimization as well as support for all after-sales services.